Friday, September 28, 2012

My fun!

I have a bunch of half-finished projects (duh-probably required to be a sewist). When I housesit, I like to take something along to work on because I have no internet access out there.
About a week & a half ago, I was going to have 3 nights of housesitting to look forward to-I knew Olivia's floppy was on the list (my sister hadn't finished the 4th panel yet, but I had a LOT of HSTs to make & trim, so why not?) I also took along the gray/orange/teal brick pathway quilt to work on. I was gonna put those rows together, dangit! :)
I had Olivia's floppy put together (except for the spot where the 4th block would be) by 10pm-9 more hours to fill before I needed to start cleaning up my mess before the housekeeper showed up! (when I housesit, I usually stay up all night because, honestly...it's a bit country out there. Lots of strange noises at night :P)
I started putting together my brick pathway-4 of the 6 pairs had been joined, so I had 4 individual rows to sew. Unfortunately, I didn't plan this well-2 that were left were gonna have matching rectangles next to eachother! So I had to lay out the other 5 sets to see if I could make the pairs into a threesome. After those two rows were added onto established pairings, I had to lay it all out and see if I could get a nice look. One reason I like laying quilts out at this house is the tile floors. There's usually enough room to lay them out without my cat disturbing everything-the dog is a nice, lazy one who sleeps all night :)
I sliced up the rest of my gray solid (I got it CLOSE-only about 1.5" left of the yardage!) and joined everything. I got much better at almost perfectly lining up the bricks across the sashing. Dummy me didn't take pins and really, it wouldn't bother me if they were slightly off :) This was established as "my quilt" quite early on in its development. The twelve columns were bordered by a thin solid gray, then a slightly wider teal dot. I'm not sure what the wider border will be, although I'm tempted to use the teal dot if I can find something gray for another round. Maybe 2" gray print then a 4" teal dot? That would make the borders about 8.5" on all sides. This will definitely be the largest top I would attempt to quilt!

I write so much sometimes, and I'm not quite sure why :) to summarize other housesitting projects: I continued work on my Sugar Pop blocks, I experimented with star blocks using a similar method as the Charming Stars project on MBS, and I finally started to put together blocks from a red/teal disappearing nine patch swap from a few years ago. I'm back & forth if I want to complete this for my sister's best friend. If it wasn't for the block that had the character Olivia (and her name), a crab print (she's from Maryland), and a boat print (she loves everything water), I wouldn't have even considered it. I might discuss pushing this back to either an anniversary or birthday present because I'm already pretty busy for Christmas-I don't know if I should add a queen sized quilt to the list :/

No comments:

Post a Comment