Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lost direction.

I feel as if I don't have my "voice" anymore. Nothing I make right now is inspiring me to finish it completely-I finish blocks or a top, then put it away.
Partially, it's not having enough room to lay out a backing/batting/top combo at home. I don't have the expendable income to send them out to be finished-heck, I don't have the income to get batting when needed!
Other problem-my machine died. I've had it for 6ish years. Amazingly, my tia's machine I got when she passed away in 2004 works! It hadn't been used since at least 2001 when she had her stroke, and since it wasn't her newer machine, probably longer than that. I like to think it was left for me (her daughters grabbed most of the other sewing items & machines-I got this one & some Daisy Kingdom dolls) and it worked because I needed it to. I can't buy a new machine, get my old one serviced, etc. How funny a 44ish year old machine (it's a Kenmore 385?) lasts longer than a 6 year old Brother. I'm sure it being all metal compared to the Brother being mostly plastic plays into it...
So I'm using a machine older than me, I have plenty of fabric but no batting, my machine quilting skills on a machine I did know were marginal at best (can't drop feed dogs on either, the taped cardboard doesn't work well AND I destroyed 2 free motion feet trying to modify them to not bounce so much), my projects don't interest me enough to at least complete a top...why do I do this.
I have to ask myself that all the time. I don't have fantastic color matching skills (though my combos are usually good), my stash is almost all chain store with a few designers thrown in here and there...
But here I am. Trying to sew enough to find that voice again. Trying to find that passion that's missing in so many areas of my life. Trying to find that motivation to see how it all turns out. I need that back.
So I'll quit my whining, put away the project that bores me to tears & grab the scrap box. See what I can pull out of there...

No comments:

Post a Comment