Monday, July 23, 2012

Chugging along :)

Noah's quilt is moving along quite nicely. I'm seeing I overestimated the amount of fabric I really needed for this size of quilt, but better too much than too little! It's a pretty crazy mess of patterns when you look up close, but the controlled palatte & 2 print 16 patch blocks hopefully helps :) From a distance, it isn't too bad at all!
Now for the "meh" news-my machines are dying on me. My Brother just had some ridiculous & unexplainable high pitch whine while sewing, my Kenmore now won't turn (the flywheel is stuck). Of course this happens when I'm too broke to get them fixed and in a time crunch (can't afford to lose a week or more). Trolling CraigsList seems to have some promising options. I can't afford the $500+ machines-hell, I can't even really afford an $80 basic, barebones machine from Walmart. But if I can find a solid workhorse, all metal machine for like $50? I'll make it happen :)
Back to Noah-I have less than 2 weeks to finish. Should be more than enough time-would definitely be if I hadn't insisted on adding hand embroidered blocks. I'm making more 16 patches than actually needed so I can swap out some to get a good color balance-not sure what I'll do with the extra blocks/strips, to be honest.
OOH-wanted to mention my sister final had the "moment"!!! :) That moment when you see a fabric and just KNOW it's what you need-it's something that has never happened for her. She always overthinks presents, paper/color matching in scrapbooking/card making, etc. She doesn't think she can combine patterns & color like I do (and my skills are elementary compared to some!$ So when we were walking to the back wall of calicos to look for a binding fabric, it was a proud moment for her to grab a bright pink/green floral print on black & say, "THIS is Juliana's!" with a big smile on her face :D It's busy and gorgeous AND the pink & green actually match the shades on the front of the quilt! The absolute confirmation it was meant to be was when I looked at the receipt after we checked out-the pattern is named "Jacqueline". Juliana's mama is named Jacquelyn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment