Friday, October 19, 2012

Bye-bye, Kitty :(

My Brother XL-2600 officially kicked it tonight. In the middle of quilting Juliana's quilt, it jammed. Fix the threads, it jammed again after 3 stitches. Take it all apart & clean out the bobbin case & feed dogs, change the (new) needle-got about 10 inches of stitching before it jammed again.
I cried. I cursed. I slammed my hand against it & begged it to work. I noticed the arm that holds the needle/foot would shift forward & that would cause it to hit the throat plate & jam. At one point, I had a strip of flannel tied to it & attached to the thread guide from the back (desperation mode). Few more lines before it hit the plate again-flannel tie be damned.
I cried more. I cursed more. I was about 2 seconds from throwing it through the wall.
Only thing a manual check would tell me is I need a new bobbin case. On a 7 year old machine, that case is more expensive than the machine is worth. My friend (who is much more experienced in diagnosing sewing machine issues) couldn't figure out the whine it's been making-I toughed it out because I had no other real option. My aunt's machine needs servicing. The one I got off of Craigslist a few months ago is having issues (and i don't know who serviced it for the seller).
Sooooo-another machine is on its way from Amazon. Basic, supposedly heavy duty. It drops the feed dogs, which I'm excited about (all of my machines have required a darning plate).
Since I haven't had enough stress of the mechanical kind today-I pulled down my serger from storage. No manual, I had to find the pedal. It's a Pro-Sew, which is apparently ~non-existent~ as far as online manuals. I found a Singer that looked similar to figure out how to pop open the front for the looper threading-and.it.worked. (haven't used it in 10+yrs)
Exciting, yes? :)
Well...I started monkeying with the thread tensions & now they're breaking constantly. At least I'm getting good practice, I guess.
My new machine should be here Saturday. Until then, handwork it is. I (hopefully) start a new job in early November, so I really wanted to finish as much of my Christmas sewing as possible before orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment