Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So predictable :)

Why do important projects seem soooo boring & stuff you *probably* shouldn't do tease with fun?
Progress on Geeky Christmas is going well. I need to start pulling for Olivia's back (her top is still pinned to my design wall, but I'll take it down soon), I'm about 80% done with the blocks for Jaylen's, and all the squares for HSTs have been cut for Gabe's. We found the perfect main fabrics for the back of each boy's quilt (even though it required my sister to restitch 2 of the blocks). Zach's is stalled out & I *really* need to get going on Jackson. SO MUCH WORK.
So, of course...
I'm experimenting with improv blocks,
I'm making pink charm stars,
I'm trying an idea for a strip quilt that's pretty on-the-fly-designing.
While looking for pink fabrics in my stash, I pulled out 3 large print florals and lamented not knowing what to do with them. I saw someone's charity quilt that consisted of chunks of a floral separated by thin bars of sashing. All the chunks were uneven length, but the width was consistent. Seems easy enough, yes?
I pulled aside an almost 2yd piece of bright floral on brown, my favorite teal and white dot print, and a scrap of an orange circle print. The teal is supposed to be the sashing with the orange thrown in here and there...
I added some green strips.
And yellow.
Pink looks very tempting.
I can't keep anything simple :)

So the plan has changed again. The first cut is 6.5in wide and it'll be as long as the pieces I have allow. Then I'll subcut it into 50-55" lengths, then further subcut to add white sashings. The teal doesn't have enough contrast, so there will be white.
How long it'll take me to make this is unknown. I guess it won't be a quick overnight project, but if I like the end result, it'll all be worth it.
If I don't like it...well, my sister is always looking for another quilt ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment