Thursday, November 10, 2011

Huh.

This "posting once a month" business has to end :) It's hard to get on here when I basically live on my Touch or phone and not my desktop. I considered switching to Wordpress because I have an app for that, but for now, I'm staying put.

Changed the blog name (not that anyone notices :D). I seriously do dream in tangerine (or orange, actually.) When I went to the Quilt Festival last week, the fabrics that always caught my eye were the orange ones. Well, the orange ones and the Kaffe/Amy Butler ones. My dreams of getting another inexpensive Kaffe jelly were dashed-not having a job the past few months really put a damper on the experience because I have no real spending money. I did pick up a pack of 11 FQs (mostly oranges & yellows!), but that was all. If I buy myself any fabric as a Christmas present this year, it'll probably be chain store or Connecting Threads. I wish they still had their Sweet and Sour collection...

Speaking of Christmas-my sister is in charge of buying me a present from my dad. She wanted Cricut cartridges as her present from him, and originally I asked for a hockey jersey. Apparently, that's slightly impossible for her to buy :) She's got no patience for eBay-if it isn't a "Buy It Now", she's not interested. So I changed it to fabric, giving her some lines I kind of (really) love. Her plan on finding me anything at the Festival was pretty much shot-she bought something, but I'm not sure what. I asked for precuts from the Ruby, Terrain, Fandango, & Origins lines. I'm *really* in love with Ruby-didn't expect that on first glance! It's so pretty and girly-but the colors aren't too frou-frou. I have a lot of projects that are mostly orange/teal/brown/green, brights, etc, so this would be a nice change. I also love the houndstooth prints from Sophie!

...and honestly, I have the songs "Ruby" and "Ruby Soho" playing in my head every time I see the line :)

No finished projects in the last month-started 3 new ones though D: My last completion was Kaden's blankie from the headachey hourglass block scraps-he sleeps on it almost all the time.  

New projects are-
 1) an on-point brown/pink 4 patch and white alternate top. It's maybe 40x40 right now, but I haven't figured out what border treatment I want to do on it. Basically a off the cuff project with a chain store jelly and practice sewing on-point blocks. Very helpful when I get my Hoopla blocks all sewn up!
 2) applique squirrel blocks! I'm a HUGE baseball fan-but honestly, the playoffs were a bit boring. Although I love the Rangers (Astros always first!), I couldn't stand some of the attitude from the fanbase. After the squirrel incident in a St Louis/Philly game (with former Astro Roy Oswalt on the mound!), I started stitching squirrel blocks. One of my longtime baseball loves (and former Astro) Lance Berkman was on the Cardinals, so I HAD to pull for him :) Those blocks got me through some *very* stressful World Series games (hello, Game 6!), and I'm still working on them. I got the shapes from one of my sister's Cricut cartridges. Also planning a cat ("puma") block for Berkman and a turtle (for Allen Craig). Still not sure how big this will be or what I'm going to do with it...
3) after seeing pics of Sarah Fielke's booth for her St Ives fabric line at Market, I fell in love with the star quilt on the table. I was already planning out how to make it when she posted she had a pattern for it at Lecien. It's called "Made in Cherry" and she has 4 color options. I want to get this fabric! Too bad that if Moda & Westminster fabrics are out of my price range, Lecien definitely is! :( But I digress...anyway, I pulled out a box of Petit Fours I had sitting around to make a smaller version of the star. It's a combo of Astor Manor & Kansas Troubles, I think. I have the center sewn (not without some difficulty-turns out over half of my squares weren't close to 2.5"x2.5"! Had to trim blocks down more than I wanted), and I'm looking through the stash for some dark blues that'll coordinate to make the triangle edges.

Basically, that's it. I need to get some pics taken, but with a recent bout of unexplainable fatigue, haven't been able to do much lately. This morning-inspired by the chilly air, I guess-I started knitting a garter stitch scarf. I don't know why I tend to start scarves-I never seem to actually use them! Who knows-this one is pretty and colorful. I'd like to avoid getting sick this winter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment